Sunday, May 26, 2013

I Should B hydrating

Friday DH and I took off to attend Disney's Star Wars weekend at Hollywood Studios. We met up with cousin K and her daughter. K is a huge Star Wars fan. I honestly have only seen the movies all the way through once. 

Well Friday morning I woke up at 5am and I felt awful. I was having Endo cramps and was nauseated. We'd waited a long time to go to this and I knew DH and K were really looking forward to it. So, I put my mind to it that I would go no matter what. When DH woke up he noticed I didn't look well. He asked if I was ok and did I need anything. I said I was just tired. So we all head out a while later. In the car I was so nauseous we had to stop for a Sprite Zero to help my tummy. I promptly fell asleep in the car. When I woke up we were parking the car at Magic Kingdom. We planned on hitting up HS first then ending our day at MK. So it made sense to just park the car where we would end our day. We waited on a bus to take us over to HS. It wasn't too far away (15 min). Well between parking the car at MK and arriving at HS I started shaking, feeling light headed, and still nauseous. I kept it to myself. I balled my hands up in fists to hide the shaking and just willed the other symptoms to go away. I WAS going and I WAS going to enjoy it dammit! I kept this up for about an hour. K and DH were loving HS and I was mainly trudging along pushing the stroller. We decided to go see a kids show for little M and to get out of the heat (it was in the nineties). During the show I almost threw up and the shaking got too bad. I was exhausted from hiding it. My muscles were done. K noticed something was off and when she touched my arm the look of shock on her face scared me. I apparently was very clammy/cold and my skin very splotchy. K was immediately concerned and told DH to fan me with a hat to help. After the show I shared I was shaky and probably just needed food. The walk to the air conditioned food court would normally take 5 minutes tops. It took 30 minutes(maybe more). I could not walk a few feet without needing to sit down. My whole body was exhausted. K got me water while I leaned on DH for support. When we got to the food court area I was  cold to the touch. I'd just been in ninety degree sun pelting weather but my skin felt really cold. DH got me to sit and then got us food. Little M stayed with me. She kept trying to get me to play with her and I wanted to so badly and just couldn't muster the strength. Little M has us wrapped around her finger. I would almost do anything to get a smile from her. Well food came. I took one bite and threw it up. The shakes got so terrible I couldn't stop them. Even my legs were shaking. These were not the I have low sugar shakes but more like I just ran a million miles and my body can go no further and is giving up shakes. It was decided DH and I were going home. I was in no position to be at a theme park and the decision was no longer mine to make. Being the hard head that I am I still thought I could stay. I got out voted. Even little M said "sick. Go night night". By this point I could only take sips of water and barely. DH and K wanted to called for a wheelchair. I did not want that and insisted I could make it to K's car in the parking lot at HS. It took awhile but I did make it. She drove us to MK for our at and off we want. Back home. We drove two hours for me to get sick and have to come back. I was so worried everyone was mad at me. They kept saying they were just worried about me. DH was upset that I didn't say something earlier. He said he hated seeing me this sick. We had to stop for saltines and a sprite so I would throw up in the car. 

Does anyone know what was wrong with me?

Well we figured it out. I was severely dehydrated. I'd had diarrhea for the two days prior. I'd really only drank bubbly stuff to help my tummy. I chalked it up to Metformin tummy issues (you know the ones I'm talking about). While at the park I didn't sweat. I was indirect sunlight and ninety degree weather and no sweat. That is bad. So lets add heat exhaustion too. 
I was lucky I didn't end up on a stretcher at the park. I got home and my mom texted me. She said she had a bad feeling and wanted to see if I was ok. My mom has always known when something is wrong. I don't know how but she does. It is both reassuring and creepy. She flipped out and that is putting it lightly. She said she was going to drive (over an hour) over if I didn't hydrate and eat something. So to my weight loss detriment I had Gatorade and pizza(the only thing that sounded good). I took a picture and sent it to mom. 

I was tired so I slept. 

I woke up Saturday and I swear I felt more sore all over my body than the time I was in a car accident (many years ago). I couldn't move without pain. Lets add in AF cramps and boy oh boy was my day starting off well. Sadly, this was my day to run my first 5k. 

I had my stuff laid out. 

This 5k was not happening for me today. 

I cried. 

This was a goal I'd set for myself.
 I'd paid for it. 
I'd trained for it. 
and I would not be participating. 

I was so disappointed in myself. My stubbornness and inability to hydrate properly led to this. I was mad. 

DH reminded me that this is not that last 5k ever. There would be more and I will do one. Just not that day and in the sun. He said he wouldn't stop me but he preferred I stay home and take care of myself. Seeing me like I was the day before had scared him. Shoot it had scared me. 

So, I did not run a 5k. I put my health first. 

Today is Sunday. 

I feel better but still sore. I never knew how exhausting it is to dehydrate. 

I am thankful that things did not end up worse. 

I know they could have. 

This memorial weekend I am thankful. 

I am thankful for DH. 

I am thankful to K and little M. 

I am thankful to the men and women that have served to protect our country. 

Today we are going to our niece, little K's (not to be confused with little M) birthday party. 

Today will be a good day. 

Bloggie world I hope your day is good too. 


  1. Oh my, I'm so glad you are feeling better and figured out what was going on. Dehydration is a scary thing! I'm sorry you missed your 5K, but be proud of how you prepared for it, and put your health first when it came to it.

  2. Oh Heather, drink that water! But you know that already :) I'm sorry your trip to the park turned out so crappy. Thank goodness for family who take care of us in times like that. There will be plenty more 5k's. I hope you've already signed up for the next one, but if you haven't, get to it! Give yourself the motivation to keep training by making it official. Hugs!